Newborn Photography Info
Paula Swift Photography, Inc. Boston Newborn Photographer with a professional photography studio in Sudbury Mass. Paula Swift is a Master Photographer, Photographic Craftsman and Certified Professional Photographer whose newborn photography has been recognized internationally by the Professional Photographer’s Association as well as awarded in the annual International Photographic Competition. Paula is a photography educator and author of Storytelling Portrait Photography – How to Document the Lives of Children and Families. She teaches workshops to local photographers on how to photograph newborns safely and beautifully. Paula has two college degrees in photography – Associates in Fine Art Photography and Bachelors of Science in Communications Media – Photography.
Thank you for taking a few minutes to look at Paula Swift Photography as being your professional photographer.
I hope you got a chance to view the slideshow of my current newborn photography on the top of this page.
I’m honored to be in my 24th year as a professional photographer and 16th year as a mom. I have three children ( all boys) and understand the importance of capturing your new baby in a stress-free and caring way. My photography studio is known for my boutique customized photography sessions. Who knew when I went to college to become a photojournalist and spent 10 years as a staff photographer at the Worcester Telegram & Gazette in Worcester, Mass. that I would fall in love with photographing children, families and newborns.
I also teach newborn photography safety, lighting and posing to local photographers, if you are a photographer please visit my workshop page link above in the menu.
I guarantee when you book with Paula Swift Photography you hire me; Paula Swift as your photographer, not an associate photographer. All the images you see on my website are taken by me.
As a mom myself ( 3 times now) I remember all the stress of welcoming a new baby and then feeling rushed to get those early fleeting moments of your baby photographed. Breath … take a few minutes to see what you would like to have captured of your new baby and family.
I offer beautiful newborn photography sessions in my 1200 sq ft boutique studio located in Sudbury, Massachusetts, at your home or outdoors in the warmer New England months. My by appointment only photography studio is located at 730 Boston Post Road in Sudbury, MA in the Wayside Plaza.
While I do suggest pre-booking your session before you baby is born and having your baby photographed with in 2-3 weeks of being born, I completely understand that babies are born early, late and parents get completely overwhelmed when their new baby(s) come home; and adding a professional photography session sometimes ends up becoming the last on the list.
I hope this info here will help to you at ease and prep you for your new baby(s)’s first photography session. As always pre-booking your session guarantees you are on my studio schedule and offers you the flexibility of moving the session up or back to fit your baby’s arrival. I photograph babies at all ages, depending on your baby’s age will tell us what we will be able to capture of your new baby. What I can tell you is your images will be beautiful and storytelling.
Newborn sessions are best done when the baby is between 7 and 21 days old. For this reason, the session is booked well in advance. When you book your session, you are actually providing your projected due date or c-section date. That is the date that is put on the schedule, knowing that is may get moved up or back depending on baby’s arrival. When the baby is born you should contact us as soon as possible so that we can confirm session date.
A few things that you should take into considerations when confirming your date; a mom who had a c-section probably need to wait until the second week so they have time to recover. If your spouse is only off work for a short period of time, we try to work around those schedules as best as possible.
Second for baby boys, is when the circumcision took place, we avoid doing portraits 48 hours after a circumcision. We don’t want the baby to be sore down there during his session.
Third is birth weight. If the baby was very small at birth (under 5.5 pounds) sometimes it is best to wait until closer to the two week mark so he/she has some time to fill out a bit. A bigger baby needs to be photographed at a younger age so that they are still easy to put into those sleepy newborn poses you see featured on our website and blog. If your baby is already born, don’t worry we still have a few tricks to get your baby to sleep during the session. However please be prepared to have you may have a beautiful wide-eyed portraits captured of your precious new baby if we are past that 3-4 week mark.
Be prepared…the session lasts 2 hours depending on how well and deeply the baby sleeps it may go a bit longer Yes, babies sleep a lot in those first week. However in a new place, being moved and having each part of their body carefully positioned, it generally takes the baby awhile to fall into that deep sleep.
I have a few different session options to fit your needs,. budget what you want to have for products after your newborn session.
Newborn Session in Studio – Session Fee Only $250
(parents and siblings included) up to 2 hour hour session in our Sudbury studio or outdoors ( in summer months only) with in 10 miles of Sudbury/ Framingham.
Unlimited poses and images taken during that time.
Session fee is for time for the session and no portraits or digital files are included in this option.
$25 per additional persons after the first 6
*$395 order minimum for newborn session*
( add $75 for in home session – no backdrops using natural setting in home – with in 10 miles of Sudbury, MA, inquire about travel rates outside 10 miles)
You can add on custom birth announcements $75 per set of 25- 5×7 cards.
Plus 6.25 MA Sales Tax
Newborn Session in Studio –Session Fee/ Digital Option: $750
(parents and siblings included) up to 2 hour session in our Sudbury studio.
Unlimited poses and images taken during that time.
This newborn session includes your session time and 10 high resolution digital images of your choice that will be sent via an online download gallery.
20% off any additional products offered with the Digital Session
( add $75 for in home session – no backdrops using natural setting in home – with in 10 miles of Sudbury, MA inquire about travel rates outside 10 miles)
You can add on custom birth announcements $75 per set of 25- 5×7 cards.
$25 per additional persons after the first 6 people
You can view our Product Pricing here: http://www.paulaswift.com/blog/session-rates-and-portrait-pricing/product-pricing/
To book your session date we require 50% of the session fee to be paid in advance as a retainer for your session. I take all major credits, checks and cash. Once that is received your session date is confirmed. The remainder of the session fee is due right after your session is photographed. You see 40-50 images that have been carefully color corrected with in 2 weeks of your session date via a beautiful slideshow and online ordering gallery. You will see your images in color and in black & white. You can also come into our studio to view your images and place your order. However, I know your time is precious and some of you travel from 30 plus miles away, so I offer a 2 week online ordering gallery. This is so you can take your time to choose the images and products you and your family would like to purchase to display your home or give as gifts to grandparents. This is great for grandparents and other family members to see and order from as well.
Since we respect your time I also you respect mine as well and place your order with in that 2 week ordering window. Once your order is received and paid for, you can expect to receive your products anywhere from 7 days to 4 weeks depending on what you choose order. All of this info will be provided to you in your ordering system.
Here are some suggestion to help Baby sleep when you arrive:
- Try to keep Baby awake for an hour before the session, move he/she around, change clothes, if he/she is old enough, give a bath or sponge bath…tire baby out. I know this is hard if you are traveling more than 30 minutes away…so don’t worry if baby falls asleep.
- If you live less than 10 minutes from the studio, you can feed the baby right before you leave the house. Be sure to dress the baby in something that is easy to remove, so that if they are asleep when you arrive we can try to move them directly from the car seat to start photographing. If baby is due for a feeding right when you are leaving, see if you can hold them off until you get here. Then we can your find him/her right when you get here and baby falls asleep here.
- If the baby gets hungry on the way to the studio and you are less than 10 minutes away, I recommend that you don’t stop to feed him. It may be a little painful to listen to him cry, but I promise he will be okay. Plus, the crying will get him a little sleepier! Once you get to the studio he will be ready to eat and ready to sleep! There will be a rocking chair and a boppy waiting for you!
- As mentioned above, dress the baby in something easy to remove, a zip up sleeper or onesie is suggested.
The session should be very relaxed for you! Don’t worry…sometimes it takes the baby awhile to fall asleep. We are very patient and know it may take awhile for baby to sleep. Please feel free to bring an ipad , laptop where you can access the internet on our wifi, or a book and don’t forget to bring some snacks for yourself.
What to bring:
- Plenty of diapers and wipes – diapers come on and off several time during the session!
- Plenty of formula or be ready to breastfeed.
- An extra change of clothes for the parents just in case your baby showers you with spit up or another bodily function. Dress light, the studio is kept really warm for the baby!
- Snacks for siblings and parents. – the session can take hours.
- Bring siblings dressed for session so we can start with them first with baby.
What to wear (for the family):
There are several different options of clothing combinations for the family. For great for a soft, natural look that puts all of the attention on the baby and the relationships we suggest beige/whites/tans/grays. When in doubt take a peek at previous sessions featured on blog and website.
A few more important tips ….
- Nursing moms should avoid spicy foods (or any food known to upset baby) 24 hours before the session.
- Make sure your baby has a full belly prior to the session or be prepared to feed baby right when you get here in our private changing/feeding room.
- Dress your baby in a button up or zipper up sleeper; anything that has to be pulled over their head should be avoided.
- Have multiple clean pacifiers handy.
- The area I shoot in is typically kept warmer than normal, so parents should dress in layers on the day of the shoot.
- This is your time to relax and let Paula do her “baby whisperer magic”; relaxed parents equal a relaxed baby – which will give us lots of those sleepy poses.
- If the baby is sick, definitely reschedule the photo session for when he or she is feeling better.
What to wear (for the baby):
- Baby is best photographed down to just a diaper cover, newborn wrap or one of our very cute custom newborn knitted outfits, all which I have in the studio.
- In the studio we have tons of baby hats, head bands, wraps and diaper covers ( which are washed after each session)
- If you have a special outfit that you have, yes please bring it. We can definitely photograph your baby in it. Its best to have your baby try it on before the session. Sometimes those 0-6 months outfits will not fit until they are actually 6 months.
- Also if you have any of your own hats or headbands, please confirm those fit as well. For baby girl headbands, make sure the flower or decor on the headband isn’t any bigger than your baby’s eye. Sometimes those big flowers etc are so overwhelming on baby, you only see the headband because its so big.
I love including big brothers and sisters in newborn sessions. There’s nothing more sweeter than watching them kiss, hug and snuggle with their new sibling. We will start the session photographing them first along with newborn and parent. I know that 15-20 minute window of patience kids 4 and younger have. Please bring them dressed for the session as well. You don’t want to loose precious time changing clothes on a stubborn 2 year old. Then if you have a friend, parent another family member available, have them take them home. Then we can just focus on baby. If baby feels the stress of their siblings who are bored with the session, they may not sleep. Younger siblings especially this will be suggested. Older siblings have a bit more of a time window of patience. We do have a tv and apple tv where we can put on their favorite show with snacks while we continue to photograph your new baby.
Pets…please include them too. We love to photograph those big sisters and brothers in newborn portraits. Whether you bring your pet to our studio, I come to your home or we have your session outdoors. Pets are so important to your family, so I love to have them be part of this special session.
If you just want baby photographed, that is completely fine too.
We hope you find this info helpful for your newborn’s first professional photography session.
Are you ready to book or need more info contact me HERE
I’m looking forward to photographing your new baby very soon.
Paula Swift, M.Photog., Cr., CPP
If you are looking for a child photographer or a family photographer please visit my other galleries to see my work for those type of sessions.